Holiday Cake Pops – Udi's Style
What’s better than a cake pop? How about a gluten free cake pop…Udi’s style! This whimsical confectionery trend is in full swing. Little bite sized morsels of sweet cake wrapped in chocolate and planted on a lollipop stick has been a huge baking hit lately. But who says the gluten free world can’t take part in this fun sweet treat? We’ll show you how to make some Udi’s cake pops perfect for the holidays and entertaining. Bonus: we’ll give you instructions on how to make these delicious treats without any baking!
(Gluten Free, Nut Free, Soy Free)
- 1 Package Udi’s Gluten Free Muffins (any flavor)
- 3/4 can of gluten free frosting or 3/4 cup of homemade buttercream (recipe below)
- 1 Package of chocolate candy disks
- Lollipop sticks
- Parchment paper
- Block of Styrofoam
- Take Udi’s muffins out of container and either crumble with hands or in a food processor until muffins break into very fine crumbs. Place in a large bowl.
- Mix in frosting or buttercream until the mixture is pliable and spongy but not runny. If the cake mixture needs more moisture, spoon in extra frosting until you reach desired consistency.
- Place entire mixture into the refrigerator and let firm overnight. If not using right away, you can cover the container and let the mix sit for up to several days.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Take muffin mix out of refrigerator and start rolling the muffin dough into small balls. Place each finished ball onto the parchment lined baking sheet. Each container of muffins will yield approximately 12 large cake balls or 16 small cake balls.
- Place finished balls back into the refrigerator for 1 hour to set.
- In the meantime, pour your package of chocolate candy disks into a small microwave safe bowl. Melt chocolate in the microwave in 1 minute increments, stirring in between, until chocolate is smooth and runny.
- Take cake balls out of the refrigerator. Dip 1 lollipop stick into melted chocolate and push into each individual ball. Dip each cake round into chocolate. Let excess chocolate drip off and then poke each lollipop into Styrofoam to finish drying. While hardening, sprinkle the chocolate with colored sprinkles.
- Repeat until all cake balls are finished.
- Either leave cake balls decorated in sprinkles, or drip additional colored chocolate across cake pops (pictured above).
- 1/2 cup room temperature butter
- 4oz room temperature cream cheese
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Milk (for thinning)
Cream together butter and cream cheese until fully incorporated and smooth. Add in vanilla. Sift in powdered sugar 1/4 cup at a time, mixing completely. Beat in all powdered sugar until buttercream is soft and fluffy. If too stiff, spoon in milk 1 tablespoon at a time.